We are either a burning torch or a burnt our match. Have you ever seen or been to a large group setting where you are standing together with lit candles, in the darkness? All you see is flickering. That is who we are in the world; we are light. But if our flame goes out, what is left is darkness, an empty abyss.
Research shows Burn Out can cause physical and mental health problems as well as social, relational and spiritual problems. (For a complete list of symptoms and checklist of personalities and working conditions see my book A Voice Of Reason).
If we are to survive and thrive, we must reduce the stress in our lives. There are a couple proven ways to address and prevent Burn Out.
- Learn to relax, finding joy in life
- Reduce the number of demands and stressors
- Connect with the Spiritual torch within
Stress is always going to be a part of life but I believe Burn Out can be avoided most of the time.
Here is how:
- Be clear about your life purpose
- Be objective in choosing what is really important
- Cultivate the ability to say NO without guilt or fear. It does not serve you to cater to demands that do not align with your life purpose. Say yes to things and people that support your purpose/passion.
- Do not procrastinate
- If necessary renegotiate commitments when need be
- Acknowledge your own humanity. You just cannot do and be everything.
“Follow your bliss.” – Joe Campbell
Read further in my book A Voice Of Reason